Last year, the DOE banned the use of ChatGPT, the artificial intelligence (AI) chatbot that creates human-like dialogue. But in May, it reversed its decision to block the technology on school networks, and on Oct. 4 announced that it will launch an Artificial Intelligence Policy Lab in an effort to remain at the forefront of changes in technology. Spokeswoman Nicole Brownstein says that the DOE is “thrilled to announce that we will be implementing an AI Policy Lab in partnership with national experts and school districts across the country focusing on human-centered AI implementation, equity, safety, ethics, effectiveness, and transparency.”
The policy lab will:
- Consider questions about cybersecurity and privacy
- Look for ways to use AI-powered tech responsibly for teaching and learning
- Examine how to communicate with parents about AI-powered tech
- Determine whether and how AI can be used in lesson planning and other teacher tasks
- Think about the ethics of allowing students to use generative AI tools like ChatGPT for school assignments
Read more here.