Epicenter-NYC seeks a leader to help set our news agenda and innovate new ways of connecting news and information to New Yorkers. In the newly created role of Editorial Director, you will lead the editorial team in providing accessible and actionable information to communities around New York City and curating stories in multiple formats that highlight the fabric of diverse neighborhoods.
- Set overall news agenda and tone for Epicenter, The Unmuted and The Escape Home products
- Oversee editorial workflow ensuring timeliness, quality and process improvement
- Edit stories for style and mission alignment
- Set and convey standards of ethics and style
- Cultivate network of freelancers, contractors and others to contribute
- Research and write sections of newsletters as needed
- Work with team to grow video presence and strategy, as well as earned media opportunities
- Publish to website
- Conduct podcast interviews as needed; review weekly podcast and offer editorial direction for ideas and improvements and audience growth
- Work with advertisers and Director of Partnerships and Communication to ensure execution of placements, including but not limited to sourcing photos, rewriting copy, determining optimal placement and performance reporting
- Source photos and visuals; ensure editorial team adheres to IP and copyright guidelines
- Maintain Epicenter’s focus on diversity and equity in coverage, customers, audiences, staff and products
- Plan and lead editorial meetings, ensure participation of relevant staff and follow up on agreed upon objectives
- Manage Freelancers, Community Reporter and Editorial Interns
- Source potential freelancers, reporters and interns
- Apply for editorial grants and awards
- Oversee execution and writing of membership emails
- Explore ways to improve growth/marketing of membership and benefits
- Brainstorm and plan membership events in partnership with others
You are a news and information hound, squarely focused on connecting content to audiences wherever they are, however they’re consuming. You believe the role of community media is to serve and don’t waste a lot of time on debates over objectivity or distance. You center the uplift of Black and Brown people, NYC’s majority population, in your journalism and your life. You are an excellent journalist, manager, decision-maker, and collaborator.
We are purposeful and are looking for someone who can elevate our workplace. We strive to embrace people as they are rather than expecting you to change yourself to fit our mission.
Dependent on experience: $75,000-$100,000
Disclaimer: The base salary range represents the low and high end of the salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Epicenter-NYC’s total compensation package for employees.
- We pay 100% of insurance premiums for employees including medical, dental and vision.
- Paid time off at 20 days a year in addition to sick days
- Paid parental leave
- 11 paid holidays
- Allowance for home office equipment and training opportunities
To apply, send a memo on how you’d approach the job to Chief of Staff, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Epicenter started as a newsletter to help communities, especially those at the epicenter of the epicenter in NYC, navigate Covid through journalism, an artist program, small business coverage and on-the-ground resources. Today, it is an award-winning multiplatform community journalism organization that also includes podcast and video content, and features small businesses, culture and things to do, artists profiles, and coverage on issues that impact people’s everyday life. Epicenter-NYC connects, informs and engages people IRL and digitally through the power of culture and community. Learn more at Epicenter-NYC.com.